[GNC] Reporting combinations of accounts

nrshing 1charmian at gmail.com
Sun Apr 26 11:19:39 EDT 2020

Can I configure a report such that Amount reported = balance in account A +
50% of balance in account B?

Background: Like most couples, some of our income and expenditure is joint
(e.g. interest from joint bank accounts) and some is separate (e.g.
salaries). Once a year, we have to prepare two tax reports (one each). For
this purpose we divide the joint income and expenses 50:50 between us, and
add it to our separate income and expenditure. That is, each of us reports
100% of our separate income and expenditure, plus 50% of the joint.

To do this in GnuCash, I have set up three accounts for each category of
income or expenses that we have to report in the tax report form: two sole
accounts and one joint account. So now I need each GnuCash tax report to
show 100% of the balance in one sole account + 50% of the balance in the
joint account.

How do I do this?

I thought of splitting all transactions for joint accounts into two, 50% to
each of the corresponding sole accounts. However, this seems way too
complicated.

I also thought of doing a virtual transaction on the last day of the tax
year, transferring 50% of the balance of each joint account into each
corresponding sole account. It’s not as complicated, but is still a very
awkward workaround. There must be a more logical and intuitive way to
report.

Apologies if this has already been answered. I’ve tried searching for
previous questions & answers on this topic, but without success.