[GNC] Help - New Computer cannot find data file

Michael or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Mon Apr 27 11:24:19 EDT 2020

On 4/27/2020 7:16 AM, Klod Binette wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I am a GnuCash user. I just got a new computer. I backed up my entire
> GnuCash folder in an external drive to move it to my new computer. I am
> unable to find the data file...
>
> GnuCash is properly installed on my new computer.
>
> So my only issue is to find my current data file to open it on my new
> computer.
>
> Klod

You left a lot out of this. For example, is the new computer under the
same OS as the old and when you moved your data to it (restored from
back up) did you put everything in the SAME place (same path)? In that
case (and that case only) would gnucash "just find it". Otherwise (the
more general situation)  you will have to "tell" gnucash where your data
now is. You would start gnucash and the use file=>open and fill in the
path/name of the file you want gnucash to open.

Finding the file ------ do you know the NAME you gave this file? Do you
know how to use the "find file" tool of your new computer (if you
changed OS  could be different). Ordinarily the gnucash data file name
would have the file extension .gnucash. If you don't remember the name,
try having your "find files" tool show you all that end with that
extension. Unlikely to be very many of them.

Michael D Novack