[GNC] Counters have stopped incrementing in recent versions of GC

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Thu Apr 30 13:12:44 EDT 2020

Op dinsdag 28 april 2020 12:11:57 CEST schreef gnucash.dgr9z at ncf.ca:
> I had created a ticket about a year ago when new counter formats would not
> save in 3.4. That issue was resolved. The problem here is that they no
> longer increment in 3.10 in my working file (XML format). However, I did
> test this on a new file using 3.10 and it worked as expected in that
> context, so I assume some corruption in my working file.
>
> Let me know if this is still something you want a bug report for, or there
> is some fix I can try at my end.
>
> Thanks,
> Ron

Hi Ron,

I'm curious why this could be.

If you're willing to help debug this, here are a few steps that could provide us with more details:
1. Open your data file and go to Edit->Preferences; then to the General Tab and untick
"Compress Files"
2. Save your book (even if you didn't make any other changes
3. Now quit gnucash and open your data file in a plain text editor. This is something other than
Word or Notepad (Word doesn't handle plain text files very well and Notepad can't handle the
linebreaks properly). Examples of proper text editors would be WordPad, NotePad++, bbedit.
This list is not exhaustive.
4. If all is well, you should now be looking at a plain text xml representation of your data
5. Search for "<slot:key>counter_formats</slot:key>". This xml node is part of a <slot> node.
(A slot node starts with a <slot> and ends with a </slot>)
6. Copy this slot and the next one (which is the one having a "<slot:key>counters</slot:key>"
node.
7. Paste it somewhere in a new mail message to send to the list later
8. Now close the text editor and repeat steps 1 to 7 for a new file (one in which you first verify
the counters do increment).

Send the two snippets to this mailing list so we can compare them.

After all of that, you may want to re-enable the preference to Compress Files.

Regards,

Geert