[GNC] help to set up equity sub-accounts opening balances

doncram doncram at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 19:55:57 EDT 2020

Hi Marilyn.  I like your usage of sub-accounts within equity at least to
indicate that some balance of emergency savings should be considered, when
looking at your Balance Sheet.  Like to be able to say there is X amount of
equity available beyond that amount set aside for emergency savings.  Or to
see that the net equity available is negative, if your emergency savings
amount is bigger than total equity.  Another user, in thread "non-currency
liabilities", speaks of setting up a liability account to record an amount
of savings dedicated to college in the future (for themself or for someone
else, is not clear in that thread).  But I like your showing the amount as
an equity.
About keeping "a running total for expenses which are typically annual
rather than a month-by-month" that sounds like the normal problem in
expense recognition for rent or lease expense, when the cash payment
schedule is quite different.  The "solution" is to make a sensible journal
entry each month.  Just because the lease terms allow you not to make
payments for 6 months, or whatever, the sensible amount of lease expense to
recognize each month is the total amount due over the entire 3-year lease,
say, divided by the total number of months.  Say your total cash due is
6,000, payable in one payment at the end of the year.  Then journal entries
on the first or last day of each month, would be:
      Lease expense                    $500
                 Lease payable                           $500
That would build up a "credit" balance of $6,000 in Lease Payable, a
liability account.
Then when the cash payment is made:
      Lease payable                    $6,000
                 Checking account                     $6,000
This way you see, in successive monthly balance sheet statements, a growing
liability.  And in the income statement for any period, the "correct"
amount of expense.  If you paid up front for the entire year, then the
journal entries would be similar, but you would have a prepaid lease
account as an asset:
        Prepaid lease                   $6,000
                  Checking account                    $6,000
and each month:
            Lease expense              $500
                       Prepaid lease                     $500
Or depending on the cash payment schedule, you could sometimes be in
deficit (have a Lease Payable liability) and sometimes be in surplus (have
a Prepaid Lease asset).  Anyhow, all of these entries, or all but the check
payment ones, could be put in all at once for the year, in advance.  And
probably (i am not sure) GnuCash can set an alarm at the future date when
you need to write the next check.  Doing this is some work, but is normal
for accounting for a business, and it does make your reports sensible.  I
say do it for yourself, you deserve to have your reports make sense, too. :)
Hope this helps!   --Don