[GNC] help to set up equity sub-accounts opening balances

Marilyn Graves Kimple mgkimple at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 7 07:11:50 EDT 2020

>I wasn't quite clear if this is 'virtual' earmarking of funds or
>real-world separate accounts. (like a savings account, or as with some
>checking accounts, a special designation amount)

>If this is just for your informational purposes to see how much you've
>set aside, (but the money doesn't *yet* leave the physical checking
>account) then create a sub-account of checking and do a transfer between
>the parent and sub.
I thank you all for your suggestions, and this sounds like the simplest. These are indeed "virtual" accounts; the only problem is that they include funds from both my checking & savings "real-world" accounts. Maybe I could set them all up under savings and show a 'virtual deficit' which would represent funds that are actually in checking?
I tried making sub-accounts under the Equity>Opening Balance and entering initial amounts for my virtual accounts backwards so they would show up as negatives (part of the opening balance), but of course I could not write a check and credit the amount to both checking (asset) and a virtual account, so that did not work.
I miss my old (ancient) program, where I could set up equity accounts as "funds", allowing me to post to them as I would income or expense accounts.
How do others use Equity sub-accounts? Do they have to correspond to a "real-world" account?
Thanks-- mgk