[GNC] Help with mult-currency multi-split import

Gio Bacareza gbacareza at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 07:16:24 EDT 2020

I maintain multi-currency accounts. I rely on monthly or quarterly
statements to enter the transactions into Gnucash. So I rely on the import
feature.

Without a reliable import, a system will be too manual for me. So it is
vital that import works.
I know that multi-currency imports have been a known issue but I thought I
had found a solution through correctly doing a multi-split in this manner:
Date Description Accounts Debit Credit
mm/dd/yyyy Some description Account Amount in currency 1 0
Transfer Account 0 Amount in currency 02

I've tested this with dummy data as well as real information. So far it has
worked.

Except my last import. The import was a real mess so I had a little
experiment. I set it up by taking samples from the actual data.
Scenario 1: 2 transactions. 1 has conversion. 1 no conversion.

   1. Set up the import

[image: image.png]

   1. Match the accounts

[image: image.png]

   1. In "Match Transactions" step, it was already exhibiting weird
   behaviors.

[image: image.png]

   1. Checking the registry, Gnucash added in an amount from the first
   transaction and completely wrongly assigned transactions in the split. I
   can't figure out why it does that.

[image: image.png]

Checking if it's an exchange rate issue, I find that it's not an exchange
rate issue. The precalculated conversion uses the same exchange rate as was
imported to gnucash.
Scenario 2: Import same 2 transactions above one at a time.

So to test and try to understand what is happening, I took the same
transactions and, using the same structure, imported them one at a time.
[image: image.png]
[image: image.png]

Am I missing anything?

If I have to import these 1 by 1, I might as well just manually enter them
into the registry. This is a deal breaker.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

--
cheers,

Gio