[GNC] Help with mult-currency multi-split import

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Thu Aug 13 12:42:20 EDT 2020

You're relying too much on images to tell your story, made worse by the fact that the list server doesn't work with inline images. Have a look at your message in the archive: https://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/2020-August/092596.html

What's more, you've blanked out most of the account names on the images, and the main comment on the register image seems incomplete. If for some reason you think that your account names reveal too much about your finances, replace them with fake names so that the viewer can track the account flow through the process.

To the "why is this here" question on that image, the arrow is pointing to 1468.00. That's the amount of AUD in your imported transaction. The last image, annotated "It Works" has the AUD amount as 1678.08. ISTM that rather indicates that it doesn't work. ISTM the question should be "where does that 168.08 come from?" and I think it comes from using the wrong exchange rate between AUD and whatever the other currency is, resulting in 56286.05 being calculated as 1678.08 AUD. 168.08 = 1678.08 - 1468.00, the amount needed to balance the transaction.

I think that the work around is to specify a price in multi-commodity imports, but I'm not as familiar with the csv importer as I should be so I can't say authoritatively that it will work.

Regards,
John Ralls