[GNC] help increasing size of font in GnuCash?

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Tue Aug 18 00:58:12 EDT 2020

I can confirm this.

I fired up Mint 20 Cinnamon in Vbox and installed GnuCash 3.8 from the
Mint repos.

Generally, GnuCash should use the default GTK theme, which on Mint 20 is
Mint-Y-Dark.

*note, the proper file name is `settings.ini` *not* `setup.ini`

Per the wiki I created:

   ~/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini

to contain:

   [Settings]
   gtk-theme-name=Mint-Y-Dark

ref: https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/GTK3#Themes
ref: https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Configuration_Locations#GTK_CONFIG_HOME

Remembering that some 'Dark' themes aren't completely dark, with some
panels still light, I tried:

   gtk-theme-name=Mint-Y-Darker

to no effect.

I also tried with setting this key instead:

   gtk-application-prefer-dark-theme=true

ref:
https://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/stable/GtkSettings.html#GtkSettings--gtk-application-prefer-dark-theme
ref: https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/GTK3#Themes

also to no effect.

*note, the above referenced Wiki page on themes advises to set the theme
using Gnome Tweak. But Mint has its own Theme preference app. Presumably
GnuCash should use the default system theme. It also discusses
installing a custom theme, but that is not needed in this case at is a
system theme.

I suppose I should fire up the GTKInspector to see what theme is being
picked up. I shall report back what I find.

Regards,
Adrien