[GNC] More Fun with Lots

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 25 10:44:34 EDT 2020

Hello,

Having now fiddled with the Lots features some more, I have encountered
some issues with its implementation.

First, if I open up the lots viewer to see what it is doing with lot
allocations, the interface appears to automatically recalculate the gain
in the entire account, and it does this silently when you simply click
on a given lot (e.g., to see its allocation). I discovered this issue
because I was attempting to clean up several accounts in which a stock
split had occurred at some point in the past, and for which I still had
active holdings. Attempting to adjust the transaction for the stock
split to account for an adjusted cost basis caused all gains to become
adjusted--even ones that had been manually entered to match my
institution's accounting.

Second, I am having troubles with the Scrub feature. While manually
assigning a sale to a particular lot, when I clicked Scrub (not Scrub
Account) I found that the viewer would automagically assign subsequent
transactions to the lot--even though I had specifically assigned only
particular transactions to a lot. For example, I have one account where
I had two purchases (i.e., two lots), followed by a partial sale (which
could be assigned wholly to the first lot with remaining shares in that
lot), followed by a reverse split, followed by another sale. For reasons
that were not clear, when I assigned the first sale manually to a
particular lot and then clicked Scrub, the subsequent transaction for
the reverse split kept getting added to the lot. It appears that the
scrub function insists on adding all subsequent share transactions to
the lot. Given that there is no way to process the lot without using the
Scrub in one of its forms, the user is left having to either delete all
subsequent transactions and reconstruct the account step by step, or
abandon the lots altogether for that account. This leaves the user with
the unfortunate situation of having to remember which accounts use lots,
and which don't.

I am not sure how best to proceed for my own accounts; I generally like
the lots features, and hope to find a way to use them even in this
particular use case. I welcome suggestions.

Best,

David