[GNC] GC v4.1 on Windows and v3.1 on Ubuntu

Larry Long llong47 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 15:17:43 EDT 2020

 D'oh!  I fired up my Ubuntu notebook and discovered that my GnuCash version on it is actually 3.8, instead of 3.1.So much for being on top of everything.  :-)

Adrien said:
> If you accepted the default, then you aren't using a database.
> The default is XML for all platforms.

Yes.  I believe that you are correct.
(I was using the term 'database' rather loosely.)
> But I don't think it would be wise to run two different major
> versions to access the same file.
> There is a possibility you could use 4.1 and 3.11 (the last
> 3.x release) but you'd have to get a developer to verify.

That is my inclination also.  Let's see whether any of them jump in.
David Cousens said:> If you are up to building GnuCash on Ubuntu you
> can use 4.1. See the thread Ubuntu distribution version
> for more detail. it's a bit of a challenge if you aren't used
> to building software first time through but after that
> generally pretty straightforward.

Last year, my neurologist advised me to learn a new language in order to keep my mind sharp.  So I told him that I would try to learn Linux (I grew up on MS-DOS and Windows).I managed to get Ubuntu installed--and running--on three old notebooks, and got GnuCash installed and running on one of them.  I haven't progressed much beyond that introduction to the OS yet, so I suppose dovetailing GC 4.1 into Ubuntu 20.04.1 could be a huge step forward--or into the Twilight Zone for me.  :-)
Thanks for the advice, Adrian and David!

Larry Long