[GNC] Difficulty with online price retrieval

Geoff cleanoutmyshed at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 00:39:42 EDT 2020

Good morning Samantha

Today's task is to repair your perl installation (specifically the
missing "Date::Manip" module) so that gnucash can use the perl
Finance::Quote module to retrieve currency exchange rates for you.

I have tested this on my Windows 10 PC today by manually deleting the
Date::Manip module then reinstalling it using the steps below.  Note
that instead of using Powershell as you have been doing to date, you
will use the DOS Command Shell to enter the necessary commands.  Please
refer to the attached screenshots as you proceed.

Screenshot: gnucsh_date_manip_1_command_prompt.jpg
The objective here is to open a DOS Command Shell running with
Administrator privileges.  There several ways to do this, the one I have
shown involves typing "cmd" into the search box on the left of the
Windows task bar at the bottom of your screen.  A new window will open
titled "Administrator: Command Prompt".  Type these 4 commands into that
window - obviously using your own API Key:
cd "C:\Program Files (x86)\gnucash\bin"
set ALPHAVANTAGE_API_KEY=your_actual_key
echo %ALPHAVANTAGE_API_KEY%
install-fq-mods.cmd

Screenshot: gnucsh_date_manip_2_installation.jpg
The gnucash perl installation script is now running and you will see a
heap of gobbledygook on your screen like this.

Screenshot: gnucsh_date_manip_3_long_delay.jpg
After a few minutes the installation will appear to "freeze" at this
point.  Just be patient and wait, I have seen it take over 30 minutes in
some cases.

Screenshot: gnucsh_date_manip_4_completion.jpg
This is what it should look like after a successful installation.   If
you don't see this, please send details including a screenshot and we
will decide the next steps.

Screenshot: gnucsh_date_manip_5_testing.jpg
Assuming you do have a successful installation, let's test it out by
typing (or pasting) these 3 commands into the window:
echo (currency "GBP" "EUR") | perl gnc-fq-helper
echo (currency "USD" "GBP") | perl gnc-fq-helper
echo (currency "USD" "EUR") | perl gnc-fq-helper

Good luck!

Geoff
=====