[GNC] How to transfer multiple bills from Vendor A to Vendor B? Journal Entry or what & how?

Fran_3 mailbox0600 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 27 13:31:18 EDT 2020

 Thanks Derek. After reading your helpful post we have decided on a different route.
We are leaving the bills in Ven A's acct but noting the amount in the Bill Description field ...
and then changing the amount of the bill to zero...
Then in the Post Description noting $xx.xx Transfered to Ven B.
Then we create a new bill in Ven B's account for the bill amount with appropriate notations.
Then pay the bill to Ven B.
This way there is a record of what happened for both  Ven A & Ven B when we look at
Reports > Experimental > Vendor Report beta
and click Display Columns > Links > Simple

Complicated maybe but we only have a few instances where this must be done... and it seems to work :-)
Thanks again for the help.
    On Thursday, August 27, 2020, 12:37:29 PM EDT, Derek Atkins <derek at ihtfp.com> wrote:

 HI,

On Thu, August 27, 2020 11:50 am, Fran_3 via gnucash-user wrote:
> We have some unpaid bills posted to Vendor A's account...We need to
> transfer the total of those bills from Vendor A's account to Vendor B's
> account.Then pay that total out of Vendor B's account
> We do not want to delete the individual bills from Vendor A's account.We
> just want to transfer the total of the bills so that we show that we moved
> the total of the bills to Account B.
> Once the transfer is done we will record the payment of the bills in
> Account B.
> I thought we could do this with a journal entry but I can't see how to do
> that as when I look at...Tools > General Journal
> How can I do this so I have a record in the system of what happened?

Do you want the bills for Vendor A to show as "paid"?  If so, the only way
to do that would be to "Process Payment" for them.  But there is no way,
internally, to create a transaction that will transfer the outstanding
balance from one vendor to another in a single transaction.

You COULD potentially to it through a suspense account.  So you "pay" the
vendor A bills from some account (Equity:Vendor Shift?).  Then you create
a new bill for vendor B that pulls from that Equity account and moves the
balance back into AP.  Then you can Process Payment to pay Vendor B.

Two notes:

1) You may not be able to do this from an equity account -- it might make
sense to do the second step first and figure out what account you want to
(and can) use, and then move the funds from Vendor A.

2) You can safely change the "far" account of the Vendor A payment.  So
e.g. you could Process Payment from Bank to A/P for Vendor A, and then
change "Bank" to anything else.  So long as you don't change the amount or
touch the AP side, everything stays kosher under the covers.

Hope this helps!

> Thanks for any help.

      Derek Atkins                617-623-3745
      derek at ihtfp.com            www.ihtfp.com