[GNC] Setting up for restricted/unrestricted PCC accounts - what's a reasonable approach.

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Sat Aug 29 06:14:46 EDT 2020

I have installed GnuCash on my xubuntu system and I've done the
default 'business' accounts set-up as that seems closest to what a PCC
needs.

Now presumably I need to apply some sort of restricted/unrestricted
account types.

It would seem that the way to go would be to split 'expenses' into
'restricted expenses' and 'unrestricted expenses' and, similarly have
'restricted income' and 'unrestricted income'.  I guess these should
be a layer below 'expenses' and 'income' so one has:-

    expenses
        restricted
            church repairs
            new church furniture etc.
        unrestricted
            vicar's expenses
            CofE
            electricity bill

... and similar for income.

Or should one have it the other way about:-

    restricted
        expenses
        income

    unrestricted
        expenses

        income

It feels like the first is right as one can then still do overall
expenses versus income more easily, or have I got it completely wrong
and I shouldn't have restricted/unrestricted placeholders at all?

--
Chris Green