[GNC] How do I add notes to my columns?

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 29 21:58:56 EDT 2020

First, I thought I followed all the links in your previous post,and all I
found were Diff files which don't mean much to an ordinary user.
Especially since your post suggested that you would make that change the
default.  Your example views in your last post show a register with the
longest note "train station coke", longest description "Best Western
Executive Seat" and longest account name "@#Points,Amtrack,Both".  All of
these are extremely short compared to my typical entries, which are likely
to count between 40 and 100 or more characters in many cases.  A more
typical screen resolution might be 1280x800 in a several year old laptop,
and trying to show my data in your one line configuration simply would not
work.  Other users' experience would be crucial to any decision regarding
changes.

Second,  The reason that I mentioned the 800x600 display size is not
because there are a lot of users still using such low res monitors, but
because most operating systems default to that low res when they do not
find a monitor with higher resolution, and it should still be possible to
limp along in that resolution until one can get their computer fixed.

Third, the register layout in GnuCash has seemingly become a sacred cow of
sorts over the years, partly because the code to implement it is
extraordinarily complex behind the apparently simple appearance, and a
significant change request would likely meet a lot of resistance both from
users and developers.  An actual implementation would require extensive
testing.  Would your proposal work correctly with the tab key?

If users are ok with it, and the current configuration with the current
settings for each of the several different register variations such as
stock accounts, search reisters, journal registers, "with child account"
registers etc. remains the default, would you be able to develop the code
and test it?

David Carlson

David Carlson