[GNC] How do I add notes to my columns?

azalea4va bb at azalea.name
Sat Aug 29 23:45:13 EDT 2020

David Carlson-4 wrote
> First, I thought I followed all the links in your previous post,and all I
> found were Diff files which don't mean much to an ordinary user..

I had two links in the previous post and one was a .png file.

> Especially since your post suggested that you would make that change the
> default.

I would make having a NOTE field in SingleLine mode the default. The
question is how wide would it be (a very low width like 2px effectively
turns it off). Until somebody gets serious about incorporating that into the
code, there is no point in addressing what width is best.  I am open to
suggestions.

> All of
> these are extremely short compared to my typical entries,  ... most
> operating systems default to that low res

As I said, different users operating under different circumstances.  Many of
my entries come from information downloaded from things like financial
institutions and they are short.  And I don't know what OSes you are using,
not my experience.  But that is why flexibility is important.

>  the register layout in GnuCash has seemingly become a sacred cow of
> sorts over the years, partly because the code to implement it is
> extraordinarily complex

I have struggled with understanding various parts of gnucash code.  But this
particular aspect of it I found quite straightforward. Now there are some
types of usage I have not tested because I made the changes for me and had
no call to do exhaustive testing on things I do not use.  But from what I
have seen, it is a very simple change. Just changing a whole bunch of lines
in one file that were like this (what was in column 3 is not in column 5).
   *gnc_table_layout_set_cell (layout, curs, MXFRM_CELL, 0, 3);*
To this.
  * gnc_table_layout_set_cell (layout, curs, MXFRM_CELL, 0, 5);*

> would you be able to develop the code
> and test it?

The code is already developed.  I have been using it for 3 years.  For
production use it would need production testing and I would be willing to
help with that.  But as they say, the worst person to test some code is the
person who wrote it.  I would need to learn much more about gnucash testing
protocols.  (If the gnucash team is interested in my involvement, I would be
happy to share my expertise and experience qualifications in the field.)