[GNC] How to use Reminders?

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 16:55:56 EST 2020

On Wed, Dec 9, 2020 at 2:05 PM Fran_3 via gnucash-user <
gnucash-user at gnucash.org> wrote:

> There is probably a way to use the current reminder feature to "fake it"
> just to get an "in your face" reminder to  do whatever. I'll post back  if
> I come up with such.

If you create a scheduled transaction with NOTHING in the Template
Transaction tab, GnuCash will remind you of its existence when it kicks
off. Just don't tick the "Create Automatically" option so the transaction
will always appear in the Since Last Run dialog.

Note that you can create scheduled transactions that follow several kinds
of rules, such as the fifteenth of the month, or four days before the third
Wednesday of each month, etc. etc.

I name my reminder Scheduled Transactions something like "Download BigBank
Statement" or "Transfer Niece's Funds to LittleBank" along with some text
reminding me what day of the month the reminder is intended to appear.

If the Scheduled Transaction gets to the "To Create" status and you don't
want it to go away yet, you can change the reminder's status in the Since
Last Run dialog. I'm not in front of a system with any pending transactions
at the moment but there are several statuses to choose from.

As Derek stated, GnuCash is NOT the best tool for calendar entries, but you
CAN use Scheduled Transactions for reminder items. If you let your
imagination roam you automate a few financial tasks using the transactions
themselves. :-)