[GNC] Remembering transactions when importing .qif transaction

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 20 12:25:02 EST 2020

I thought the Bayesian matching worked with QIF imports too.  Has that been
discontinued?

Unfortunately, I rarely use the QIF format and I only have one poorly
formed sample easily available to test.  That sample fails completely.

On Sun, Dec 20, 2020 at 2:56 AM David Cousens <davidcousens at bigpond.com>
wrote:

> Bruce
>
> You describe your problem as not remembering transactions. Is what you mean
> not remembering which external QIF category and account name map onto which
> GnuCash internal account name? That map is constructed the first time you
> import records to a particular GnuCash account.  Under Tools_>Import Map
> Editor you can see what external account names are mapped onto which
> internal GnuCash accounts by selecting the Online radio button. AFAIK the
> Bayesian and non-Bayesian matching are not used with QIF imports.
>
> The following section of the Help manual describes the operation
> https://www.gnucash.org/docs/v4/C/gnucash-help/trans-import.html of the
> importer.
>
> AFAIK the QIF importer does not do the matching of imported transactions to
> existing account transactions as is done with the OFX/QFX and CSV import
> processes so it will not indicate duplicates of existing transactions and
> matching transactions. If OFX records are available, the importer will try
> to match duplicate transactions which can be useful if you have checking
> and
> credit card trannsactions as these will create duplicate transactions for
> transfers between these accounts as both accounts will have the same
> transaction recorded.
>
> David Cousens
>

> -----
> David Cousens