[GNC] Prototype GnuCash accounts for UK HMRC VAT returns (MTD / Making Tax Digital)

Mark alien.technology at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 06:36:27 EST 2020

I've been looking at VAT return submission from GnuCash to prepare for my
own accounts automation.  I've got some prototype code which works with the
HMRC test API on Github.  This is Python scripts which use the GnuCash
Python API and then sends to HMRC APIs:

https://github.com/cybermaggedon/gnucash-uk-vat

This is definitely experimental / prototype stage. I've done as much
testing as it is possible to do with the test APIs (not much).  I'm sharing
this because it could be of interest to others, and to see if anyone else
knows the pitfalls I'm likely to come across working with HMRC APIs.

It's Python but there's no Python packaging, so you just clone the repo and
run in place.  I may take a look at packaging over the Christmas period.