[GNC] since Catalina, unable to open gnucash

sherwood kaip skaip799 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 1 19:33:23 EST 2020

Here is what apparently happened that I could no longer save changed  or
added gnucash data.  I don't remember specifying where to store data when I
first installed gnucash years ago.  Apparently it stored the files in a
hidden folder called opt or /opt.  I never saw this folder until someone
told me to press Command + Shift + Period.  Then this hidden folder showed
up in a lighter color with all the gnucash datafiles in it.  When I clicked
Command + I, the gnucash data files showed that I had read/write
permission.  However, the opt or /opt folder said "system" had read/write
permission.  The next line under "system" said what permission "wheel"
had.  I don't remember what that was but it wasn't read/write as I recall.
I have no clue what "wheel'" is.  As the administrator, I tried to change
the permission but Catalina said I did not have permission.  My guess is
that Catalina had put the /opt folder in with the system files which it has
made read/only to protect accidental damage to system files.
My son somehow managed to copy the data files related to gnucash from the
/opt folder and put them in a folder in my user area.  When I started
gnucash I clicked "open", selected the latest file, and suddenly all was
well.
 If anyone else has this problem of being unable to alter or add to their
gnucash accounts and has recently changed to Catalina, this is probably the
problem and a solution.
S. Kaip