[GNC] Automatic Retrieval of Quotes not working for Exchange Traded Funds (ETFs)

Peter Marshall peterfmarshall at icloud.com
Sun Feb 2 06:31:06 EST 2020

Automatic Retrieval of Quotes using the Finance::Quotes module is not working for Exchange Traded Funds (ETFs).  For example, I have setup a Security record for an ETF with:

   Security Information
	Full name:	Vanguard Mega Cap Growth ETF
	Symbol/abbreviation:	MGK
	Display symbol:	MGK
	Type:	NYSE
	ISIN, CUSIP or other code:
	Fraction traded:	1/10000
   Quote Source Information
	√ Get Online Quotes
	√ Single:	Alphavantage, US
	Timezone:	America/New_York

I’ve also setup a Security record for a traditional stock with:

   Security Information
	Full name:	Tesla Inc.
	Symbol/abbreviation:	TSLA
	Display symbol:	TSLA
	Type:	NASDAQ
	ISIN, CUSIP or other code:
	Fraction traded:	1/10000
   Quote Source Information
	√ Get Online Quotes
	√ Single:	Alphavantage, US
	Timezone:	America/New_York

When I go to the Price Database interface and use the Get Quotes action, I get an error message:

   Unable to retrieve quotes for these items:
	NYSE:MGK
   Continue using only the good quotes?

The problem doesn’t seem to be with Alphavantage.  I can use their API and successfully pull a quote for any ETF.  Any idea how to get ETF price quotes in gnucash?