[GNC] Importing Checking Transactions: Expense Acct Assignment Question.

David Cousens davidcousens at bigpond.com
Tue Feb 4 16:23:14 EST 2020

Just a note re the training of the importer to match transactions to transfer
accounts.

The ability to do this depends upon there being sufficient consistent
distinguishing information in the description fields of the imported
transaction.

One vendor I have supplies a different unique transaction number number each
time they send a request for payment. I also receive two separate direct
credit requests from them (one from my wife and one for myself). There is
not a part of the number which identifies which transaction was for which
person or a part which uniquely identifies the organization although other
information in the description does do that so the importer cannot assign
the correcct expense account  as there is not sufficient distinguishing
information in the description field (I have separate expense accounts for
this item for my wife and myself).  On a lot of electronic transactions the
description field is limited to 18 chars which can't include blanks which
does not leave a lot of scope for differentiating information. I have to
manualyl assignthe transfer accounts each month fro this pair of transaction
and I have similar difficulties with some other imported transactions so be
aware the importer will never be perfect even after training in some cases.

You will only be able to get the importer to assign the correct expense
accounts and or  A/P if the vendor supplies distinuishing info to his/her
bank and his/her bank passes that to your bank and they in turn include that
in the description field. Unfortunately the importer can't read the vendor's
mind.

David

-----
David Cousens