[GNC] Importing Checking Transactions: Expense Acct Assignment Question.

Fran_3 mailbox0600 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 5 19:03:15 EST 2020

 Thank you Adrien. Your answer was very helpful. I experimented today and hope to do the big import tomorrow. Wish me luck :-)

    On Tuesday, February 4, 2020, 12:17:54 PM EST, Adrien Monteleone <adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net> wrote:

 It’s okay to not give a final “thanks” message, but it is helpful to inform the list that the particular advice either did or did not answer the question or help solve the problem. (or even help lead you to the solution and what that might have turned out to be) This way, future readers of the archive aren’t left in limbo as to how the thread resolved in case they have a similar question. Sometimes, a simple “thanks, that worked” is sufficient and acceptable. (with the ’that worked’ part being more important than the ’thanks’ part)

As for the mechanics of the import, it should allow you to train the importer for each payee. Thus the vendors you pay outright without raising bills would be assigned to a relevant expense account, but vendors you do raise bills for would get a different assignment, most likely Accounts Payable, then after the import, assign each of those as payment individually as appropriate to the relevant vendor invoices. (normally you don’t make manual entries against AP, noted in another thread) Be certain to use the “Assign as payment” feature from the checking register as a safety measure. (I’m not even sure you can do it from AP)

It is highly recommended when first starting an import workflow to do so with just a few transactions at a time, then move up to perhaps an entire month, then you can move up to a larger batch. Some veterans on this list always recommend to do one month at a time no matter what, check over everything carefully, reconcile, then move to the next month.

As you do each import, you are refining the training of the importer so you have to do less and less work each time making assignments or correcting mismatched imports. (you don’t want to jump head first and then have to review hundreds or thousands of transactions for errors or improper account assignments, and then you miss the benefit of training the importer)

You might want to start with just importing basic expenses and get some of those payees trained and make sure the importer matches subsequent imports correctly. Then move on to the business payments that need to be assigned. All of them should go to AP and each subsequent import should do this correctly.

As you move through the process (working from oldest imports to current day) the importer will improve and the entire process will be faster with less manual input. Future imports will be even smoother.

Finally, be certain to use the latest v3.8 as older versions had their individual bugs and quirks with the importer. (there might still be some outstanding to be fixed or improved, but the best state of the feature is in the current version)

Regards,
Adrien