[GNC] Incorrect starting balance for 2019

Richard Danielson rdan217 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 10 00:05:07 EST 2020

Hello all,

I moved my accounting from Simply Accounting 7 (something) on Win 7 to
GC 2.6.19 on ubuntu linux back in January/19.  For starting balances I
used my trial balance from 2018 on Simply Accounting to get the values
for Jan 1/19 on GC.  I subsequently worked like a bionic beaver to do
all my accounting for the year.

Unfortunately, at this very late point in time, I discovered that I
started the year with an incorrect total on one of my asset accounts.
If possible, would like to edit this starting amount for Jan 1/19 so
that things work out correctly afterward and all the way up to the end
of the year.

Being suspicious of my actions I waited to reconcile any bank or credit
card accounts, so if it is possible to just change the starting balance
on that one account, I will happily re-print all of my monthly reports
and reconcile everything which should be reconciled before going into 2020.

All my life, I have followed the carpenter's rule - "There is always
time to do a job twice....if you screw up, you have to do it again."  Of
course, there is always at least one exception, for example - "If you
cut a board too short, then cut it again!"

Can someone tell me whether in this case, the rule holds or does the
exception hold?   Thanks.

Rick