[GNC] Account Currency Screwed Up Again!

David Cousens davidcousens at bigpond.com
Mon Feb 10 16:09:19 EST 2020

Not sure, but I don't understand why the prices of the securites were in CHF. Since you have AUD income and expense
accounts associated with the securities and you record their purchase/sale against an AUD foreign currency account I
would have thought the securities would have been in AUD if traded on the ASX.

A lot will depend upon what you are required to supply to your tax authorities, where tax is paid, and what rules apply
on timing of conversion from AUD to CHF for tax recording purposes. For that sort of info you will need a Swiss tax
accountant with foreign tax experience.

In Australia companies operate under a company tax regime where tax paid on company profits is not normally taxed again
as a dividend in the hands of a shareholder. The shareholder receives a franking credit for the tax paid in the hands of
the company to offset against their income tax. Not all share dividends are franked however. This of course only applies
to Australian shareholders who pay income tax in Australia unless  some sort of reciprocal tax agreement between
countries exists covering these taxes.

Dr David R Cousens
B.Sc, M.Prof. Acc., Ph.D., G.C.Ed