[GNC] Importing Vendor Bills: Field Definitions Questions

Fran_3 mailbox0600 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 17 19:44:35 EST 2020

 Thanks for the answers Rob. Now I'm good to go :-)

    On Monday, February 17, 2020, 11:07:09 AM EST, Rob Laan <rob.laan at chello.nl> wrote:

 Hi,
See my comments below,
Regards,
Rob

On 15 Feb 2020, at 19:53, Fran_3 via gnucash-user <gnucash-user at gnucash.org> wrote:
Referring to the field definitions in
18.1. Importing Bills and Invoices
I tried to line those up with the three dialog boxes that come up as you create and post a new bill.
New Bill DialogEdit Bill DialogPost Bill Dialog (aka Question)
I think I have most of them properly associated but need help on a few...

   -
owner_id - Customer or vendor number. Mandatory in the first data row of an invoice. If not provided, all rows of the same invoice will be ignored.

I don't see "Owner ID" in any of those three screens... but I do see a field for the Vendors name in the "New Bill" Dialog.
However I do see it in the "Vendor Overview" list of vendorsI guess that means one would have to lookup the Vendor Number for each vendor's bill they are about to import.
(This is the case of having a clerk enter the bills into a spreadsheet so that a the GC admin could import them later... as when you don't want the data entry clerk to see all your financial data :-)

Now that I think about it that makes sense as the data entry clerk could misspell the vendors name or enter it differently than it is in the system... so maybe I just answered that one for myself.

For good order, the documentation describes the ‘technical’ field names; GnuCash displays those in the Preview of the import dialog:
It is correct that you do not see the vendor number in the ‘New bill’ dialog, although you could use it in the dialog with the Select button, and then use ‘Vendor ID’ as search criterion.

Next I see these fields... again I couldn't find them in any of the three dialog boxes that appear when you are creating/entering a new bill... or did I miss them somewhere. Maybe somebody can point the discount fields out to me wherever they are.

   -
disc_type - Type of discount. Optional. Only relevant for invoices, not for bills. Use “%” or blank for percentage value, anything else for monetary value.

   -
disc_how - Discount how. Optional. Only relevant for invoices, not for bills. Use “>” for discount applied after tax, “=” for discount and tax applied before tax, and “<”, blank or anything else for discount applied before tax.

   -
discount - Amount or percentage of discount. Optional. Only relevant for invoices, not for bills

The discount fields are only relevant for customer invoices, not for vendor bills. GnuCash does not show these fields for vendor invoices. You can find the fields in the line items of a customer invoice.

Another question... and maybe I missed it... but is there anyway to import bills from a CSV file but not have it automatically Posted?

If you do not provide a posting date in your upload file, GnuCash will not post the bill.

Finally, for anyone interested...
These import fields match the "New Bill" Dialog fields...(except Billingid... which on the dialog is the Vendor Name field)

Id

Date_opened

owner_id

Billingid
Notes
These import fields match the Edit Bill Dialog fields(except I can find the 3 Discount Type fields.)

Date

Desc

Action

Account

Quantity

Price

Disc_type

Disc_how

Discount

Taxable

Taxincluded

Tax_table

And finally these import fields match the Post Bill Dialog fields
Date_posted

Due_date

account_posted

Memo_posted