[GNC] QIF file import failed -- but no errors or warnings

crazylyle lyle at austin.rr.com
Tue Feb 18 12:43:07 EST 2020

I downloaded the current source code and built it.

After gnucash tries to import my QIF file, I get the single word "Failed".
Tracking
this down, it is coming from

 /* Inform the user. */
        gnc_progress_dialog_set_sub (wind->convert_progress, _("Failed"));

in assistant-qif-import.c at about line 3105, and is a result of

if (scm_is_symbol (retval)) at line 3093 before that.  The scm_is_symbol
seems to be a scheme function that determines if the retval is a scheme
symbol.

The retval is set by calling scm_apply (qif_to_gnc, ...) at about line 3040,
which then takes us to the Scheme function qif-import:qif-to-gnc in
qif-to-gnc.scm.  which seems to be about 200 lines of Scheme code
which is probably catching an exception but generates no error messages
or hint as to what is wrong.

What with the large level of complexity in building gnucash using cmake,
scheme, swig, and c,
and the resulting dynamic loading of libraries,
it's difficult for an outsider to step in and try to help.