[GNC] Unable to back up data file

David Cousens davidcousens at bigpond.com
Fri Feb 21 19:39:45 EST 2020

Robert,

The most likely explanation is a change of permissions on the folder which
had your original data file.  Compare the permissions with those of the new
location you have been able to save the file in. Google Drives and Dropbox
folders synced to cloud storage might experience this.

http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/Can-t-save-gnucash-files-td4685125.html.

Another possibility is to check for the presence of a file with your
datafile name and a .LCK file extension in the directory containing your
file. GnuCash can usually override it if it is present though and you
normally can't open the file until the .LCK file is deleted either manually
or by GnuCash. Sometimes if this is present one of the options is to open
the file in Read Only mode. This will prevent you from writing to the file
subsequently if you choose it. There is an option for forcing an open in
normal mode, Open Anyway.

iI store my data files in a dropbox and this sometimes causes issues with
GnuCash not being able to access the dropbox folder on startup when opening
the last opened file . If I use file open to navigate to the dropbox
location it then works OK.

David Cousens

-----
David Cousens