[GNC] Recovering deleted transaction from log files

Roland Roberts roland at astrofoto.org
Fri Feb 21 23:54:32 EST 2020

Somewhere in the last few days, I managed to delete one or more
transactions that were reconciled. I'll blame it on sleep deprivation
trying to get through my wife's business accounts and our personal ones,
too....

I went to my gnucash autosave files and began opening them until I found
the last one with a good reconciliation and the first one with a bad
reconciliation amount. Basically, I opened the account, then started the
reconcile dialog and the latest one that showed an opening balance
matching what I last has from reconciling was what I'm labeling as the
last good one. The next autosave after that has a bad opening balance
when I do the same thing.

So... I figured the log file(s) between those two should have the
missing transactions. But that file is nothing but a sequence of

===== START
===== END

after the header.  Why wouldn't the log have my deleted transactions in it?

roland