[GNC] Recovering deleted transaction from log files

Roland Roberts roland at astrofoto.org
Sat Feb 22 17:57:29 EST 2020

On 2/21/2020 11:54 PM, Roland Roberts wrote:
> [...]
> So... I figured the log file(s) between those two should have the
> missing transactions. But that file is nothing but a sequence of
>
> ===== START
> ===== END
>
> after the header.  Why wouldn't the log have my deleted transactions
> in it?

So I was able to track down the missing transaction. What had actually
happened was that I had apparently edited it (obviously in error) and
change the account on a payment to a credit card. That removed it's
reconciled state in the bank account from which the payment had been
made (naturally, it was no longer against that account). I did that the
painful way by unpacking the two gnucash files and doing diff, that
tracking through the diffs.

I'm still puzzled by the log file. I read through some of the gnucash
docs and realize that scheduled transactions are special beasts and that
those don't show up in the logs, but an edit like this I thought would.
My immediate problem is solved, but...I'd like to know what sort of
things the logs can help me with since it wasn't as useful as I expected
for this case.

roland