[GNC] Best way to track monthly balances of Expense-Income ?

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Thu Feb 27 16:30:19 EST 2020

Be aware that while the ‘Close Books’ procedure is available if you really want to use it, doing so is neither necessary or advised.

You will lose the ability to report across periods properly and you’ll lose the ability to run reports after a period is closed.

If you do not use the ‘Close Books’ procedure, you will retain full reporting ability for any desired time period, even a non-standard date range.

Some reports now include an ability to exclude closing entries, so you may have a workaround there, but it is not selected by default.

Additionally, the ‘Close Books’ procedure is not necessary to reset the Accounts tab ‘period’ columns. That will happen automatically based on the defined period in preferences as you have noted. I don’t ever close my books and this resets for me as it is supposed to.

Closing books was necessary in the days of pen and paper. Doing so was part of the process of generating paper reports. Early computer software carried this over out of a belief that it was good practice, but it is not strictly necessary unless the software requires it to produce proper reports. GnuCash does not, and can run a report for any set of transactions in any accounts for any custom or standard date range without any ‘closing’ entries or procedures.

Regards,
Adrien