[GNC] v3.8 - Unable to save to database message - all accounts zero

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Wed Jan 1 02:18:28 EST 2020

> On Dec 30, 2019, at 11:39 AM, brob2684 <bennrobertson at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I just installed v3.8 on my Windows 10 machine (not sure exactly which
> version I had previously, but it was at least v3.6). I save in the sqlite
> format.
>
> When I open my file, all the account have zero balances. Double-clicking on
> an account brings up an empty register (i.e. no transactions). Closing the
> account generates the message 'unable to save to database'.
>
> Here's what I've done so far:
>
> 1. A google search got me to this post experiencing a similar error message:
> http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/GNC-Unable-to-save-to-database-Build-ID-3-2-2018-06-24-td4702739.html.
>
> 2. I took a look at https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Tracefile to find the
> trace file on my system.
>
> 3. Took a look at the trace file. It had lots of errors like this
>
> /* 06:14:22 ERROR <gnc.backend.dbi>
> [GncDbiSqlConnection::execute_select_statement()] Error executing SQL SELECT
> * FROM transactions WHERE guid IN (SELECT DISTINCT tx_guid FROM splits WHERE
> account_guid = 'fd3362e93c5d4c55977254dfd1ee61a9')
> * 06:14:22 ERROR <gnc.backend.dbi> [error_handler()] DBI *error: 1: no such
> table: splits*/
>
> 4. Opened up my sqlite gnucash file in a viewer and noted that the *splits*
> table no longer exists, but there is a *splits_new* table.
>
> My question is, is there any harm in just dropping the *_new* suffix to
> rename the table back to *splits*?

Probably not, but make a copy of the file first. You might also find your latest backup before the upgrade, make a copy of that, and try opening it with 3.8, ideally by running GnuCash with --log gnc.backend.dbi=debug and then saving the tracefile aside so that it doesn't get overwritten. If the table upgrade fails again that might be helpful in diagnosing why.

Regards,
John Ralls