[GNC] "Update finance quote' query

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Wed Jan 1 02:13:18 EST 2020

> On Dec 29, 2019, at 1:54 AM, Varun Francis <vfrancis1998 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I have just downloaded Gnucash. Unfortunately, I am unable to figure out
> how to install Finance:quote. I'm a complete novice with no programming
> knowledge. When I checked on the website, it mentioned that I should run
> "update finance quote" app from the dmg file, however, my dmg file had no
> such file.
>
> Please let me know how to proceed.

Unfortunately the Update Finance Quote script works in a way that violates security in MacOS 10.15 and I had to remove it in order to for Apple to notarize the dmg.

You can do what it did pretty easily, though. Open /Applications/Utilities/Terminal and at the prompt type
  sudo cpan -i Finance::Quote
it will ask for your password, type that in. It may put up a dialog box asking if you want to install command line tools; tell it that you do. After that it will print a lot of stuff to the terminal window that you can ignore.

Once it finishes you need to run another command,
  sudo cpan -i Date::Manip
When that finishes, test that it works by running
  /Applications/Gnucash.app/Contents/Resources/bin/gnc-fq-dump yahoo_json AAPL

You should get output something like

Finance::Quote fields Gnucash uses:
    symbol: AAPL                 <=== required
      date: 12/31/2019           <=== recommended
  currency: USD                  <=== required
      last: 293.65               <=\
       nav:                      <=== one of these
     price:                      <=/
  timezone:                      <=== optional

Regards,
John Ralls