[GNC] 3.8 Link between aqbanking account and Gnucash account broken?

Derek Robinson derek.robinson at ymail.com
Wed Jan 1 09:59:18 EST 2020

I recently installed Gnucash 3.8. I'm having a problem with online banking transaction retrieval and can't troubleshoot further than I have.

Symptom: Actions -> Online Actions -> Get Balance works correctly. Actions -> Online Actions -> Get Transactions returns a single transaction with Amount = 0, Date = 12/31/1969, Description = Unspecified.
The OFX log for Actions -> Online Actions -> Get Transactions DOES have the correct transactions in it - they just don't show up in the transaction matcher. That log is identical to the log I get under Gnucash 3.7, except that the OFXHEADER value under GC 3.7 is 100 and under GC 3.8 is 102.

Observation: In Tools -> Online Banking Setup -> Match Online Accounts to Gnucash accounts there are two differences between GC 3.7 and 3.8.
1. In GC 3.7 the "Online Banking Account Name" is of the form Bank Code bankcode (<bankname>), Account accountcode (). In GC 3.8 it is of the form Bank Code bankcode (), Account accountcode (). In other words, the Bank Name element is missing. Examples:
GC 3.7: Bank Code 123456789 (123456789), Account 0888877776 ()
GC 3.8: Bank Code 123456789 (), Account 0888877776 ()
I've verified that the bankName element is present in both the aqbanking/settings/account/account.conf and aqbanking/settings6/account/account.conf files.
2. In GC 3.7 the GnuCash Account Name gets populated when going through the Online Banking Setup screens and stays populated when I finish that process and then go back into Online Banking Setup (including after a restart of GnuCash). In GC 3.8 the GnuCash Account Name is populated when going through the Online Banking Setup screens, but it is blank if I finish that process and then go back into Online Banking Setup. In other words, I can't get that association to "stick".

Hypothesis: the "link" between the account definition in Online Banking Setup and the GC account is partially corrupted in GC 3.8. I say "partially" because the Get Balance action continues to work even though I can't see the associated GC account in Online Banking Setup. Only the Get Transactions action is broken. I can't tell where that "link" is stored but I assume it's in the .gnucash file itself; I can't see any evidence of it in the old (GC 3.7) aqbanking account definition files in aqbanking/settings/account/account.conf files, nor in any other files in that folder.
I appreciate any help / insight from the group.
Derek