[GNC] How to work with paypal transaction reports?

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Wed Jan 1 16:57:44 EST 2020

> On Jan 1, 2020, at 1:30 PM, friedemann at masur.de wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> im manually importing all my paypal report into gnucash and technically
> everything works.
>
> However paypal has a strange way of handling some transactions.
> Sometimes transactions are "pending" e.g. when I have received money from an
> ebay buyer but the money will only show up as "confirmed" when the package
> has arrived at the buyer.
>
> What happens now it that in my csv file i have a some point a pending
> transaction and at a later point a confirmed one, however these cancel each
> other out or just show up as unrelated payments.
>
> I wonder if there is a best practice on how to deal with paypal? or is there
> another way to import the transaction easier?

I've never tried importing from PayPal as I use it only a few times a year and I don't sell stuff any more.

You could model the escrow feature with a separate Assets:PayPal-Pending account, but I think you'll have to pre-process the csv to get it to do the income:sales->assets:paypal-pending->assets:paypal dance correctly.

Regards,
John Ralls