[GNC] Multiple GnuCash Rev Installations

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Fri Jan 3 11:32:13 EST 2020

> On Jan 3, 2020, at 5:25 AM, Greg Feneis <mfeneis at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Somebody replied to a comment I made about not being able to install an
> updated GnuCash alongside an older GnuCash, but I lost track of the
> response. It seemed to relay a variety of ways they were able to achieve
> multiple installations, but I was unable to discern any information on how
> that was done.
>
> My wish for the ability to have multiple installations was for the
> installer dialog to allow this as an option, for anyone to use. I haven't
> installed GnuCash in a while, but the last time I did, the installer
> uninstalled the previous installation without an option to leave it there.
> At the time, I enquired about this very thing and was told it's not an
> option.
>
> What's the secret?

You're probably not going to like this: The secret is to get a Mac. That's because on Macs most applications are self-contained bundles containing all of their non-system dependencies and there's no os-maintained list keeping track of them.

To have multiple installs on Windows or Linux one must bypass the application/package management system by building and installing GnuCash oneself, a task that's beyond the skills of most users.

Regards,
John Ralls