[GNC] Tracking Currency Investments

Bo Byrd opticalcarrier at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 4 15:12:32 EST 2020

Trying to figure out sect 12.5 of the docs:
https://www.gnucash.org/docs/v3/C/gnucash-guide/currency_invest1.html

But for the life of me I cannot get things to balance correctly for the sell journal entry.  The purchase entry is quite straightforward, but for the sell entry as described by 12.5.2 I just cannot figure it out as the accounts and units (units of USD versus XXX) dont quite make sense as the capital gains seem to be denominated by the XXX currency.  As well, the "Sold Amount" value seems to be used in both an USD account and an XXX account which also doesnt make sense.

Does anyone have any good examples/screenshot of a pair of journal entries for a currency buy/sell set that includes how to handle the capital gains?