[GNC] Lost Data

Matthew Lybanon lybanon at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 8 15:58:01 EST 2020

Sorry, something happened to the first line of the listing I included in my last post when I pasted it into the message. The correct first line is

     -rw-r--r--@ 1 matthewlybanon  staff  52409 Jan  7 16:02 MAGS Show.gnucash

I tried opening it by navigating directly to that file, and got the “Report error …” message. I also tried opening one of the backup files (from the Gnucash file menu, without first renaming it MAGS Show.gnucash). Same result.

I suspect something may have happened to my copy of the Gnucash program. There were a few peculiarities when I ran it yesterday. I entered one transaction (the same way I have previously entered hundreds of transactions), and it ended up with the year 1899 attached to that line. I changed the date to 2019, and things looked normal. But when I tried to reconcile the December 2019 bank statement something about the process seemed different. Again, sorry to be so vague but I can’t quite put my finger on what was wrong.

I will retrieve a _.gnucash file from several days ago from my Time Machine backup, make sure it is called MAGS Show.gnucash (I’ll hide the current MAGS Show.gnucash in a temporary folder), and see if Gnucash can open it. If that doesn’t work then I don’t think it will hurt to reinstall Gnucash.app and see if that solves the problem.

Begin forwarded message: