[GNC] how to delete a new file

Michael Hendry hendry.michael at gmail.com
Thu Jan 9 03:04:43 EST 2020

> On 8 Jan 2020, at 21:51, Harvey Moxness <hdmoxnes at telus.net> wrote:
>
> I hope someone can help   I am new to gnu/cash and trying to set up a simple bookkeeping file, as a chequebook.  When i get to the point of entering transactions, there is no space for "balance" at the end of the entry line.  So I must have started the set-up procedure wrong, as the tutorial pictures show a balance at the end of each transaction.  I would like to delete the whole project that I have started, and start again, but I don't see how to do that.  I have used Quicken for years, but Microsoft is dumping its Windows 7, which is the only version I was able to use the Cash Manager 2015 on.  Thank you.   Harvey Moxness

Good morning, Harvey. Welcome to GnuCash.

To answer your question - you can simply delete your unwanted file using Windows Explorer - I’m a Mac user, so I’m not sure where a Windows machine will store its GC files by default. It will be called XXX.gnucash, where XXX is the name you chose for it when you first set it up.

Alternatively, you can use File—>New to create a new one, and ignore the first one in future.

However, your problem with the missing opening balance can be resolved without deleting anything.

See https://lists.gnucash.org/docs/C/gnucash-guide/cbook-accounts1.html for instructions.

Michael