[GNC] Nesting too deep for budget?

Nate Bargmann n0nb at n0nb.us
Thu Jan 9 07:40:09 EST 2020

* On 2020 09 Jan 01:53 -0600, Adrien Monteleone wrote:
> This might be an ‘unused’ issue.
>
> I presume since you’re getting started, none of those 26 accounts have any existing transactions, correct?

Correct.

> Go to:
>
> View > Filter By > Other
>
> and check off:
>
> Show Unused Accounts
> (optionally) Show Zero Total Accounts
> (optionally) Show Hidden Accounts
>
> You should now be able to budget for those accounts.

Ahhh, thanks!

> Nesting is not an issue. I have some accounts about 6-7 deep and I can use them in the budget.

Good to know.

> However, I’m curious as to why the ‘Home' account under expenses?
> There are other ways to categorize or tag expenses and while budgets
> don’t work with those methods, if the accounts themselves are unique
> you can include them selectively in various budgets without the need
> to nest them all under a ‘Home’ placeholder. The same goes for various
> reports.

Under Expenses are two placeholders, "Dual Parish" and "Home" where our
parish will eventually be reimbursed by the other one.  "Home" is just a
shorthand we've used for years.

Yes, I'm sure there is more than one way to do all of this.

But stand by, I have a more fundamental question incoming.

- Nate

Web: https://www.n0nb.us
Projects: https://github.com/N0NB