[GNC] Nesting too deep for budget?

Nate Bargmann n0nb at n0nb.us
Fri Jan 31 15:56:20 EST 2020

* On 2020 09 Jan 01:53 -0600, Adrien Monteleone wrote:
> This might be an ‘unused’ issue.
>
> I presume since you’re getting started, none of those 26 accounts have any existing transactions, correct?
>
> Go to:
>
> View > Filter By > Other
>
> and check off:
>
> Show Unused Accounts
> (optionally) Show Zero Total Accounts
> (optionally) Show Hidden Accounts
>
> You should now be able to budget for those accounts.

Circling back to this, I've tried this dialog and I still don't have a
cell in the Budget tab that I can enter a value except for the parent of
the subaccounts which is not useful for me.  The list of subaccounts
does change when I check or uncheck Show unsued accounts or Show zero
total accounts, but in no case does a cell appear in the second column
from the right.

I deleted the prior budget attempts and started fresh.  I am using 3.8
on Debian.

I am only interested in an expense budget so I only have the Expense
Account Type checked in the Filter Budget dialog.  In the Other tab, of
the three only Show hidden accounts is not checked.

My expense tree looks like this:

Expenses
	Dual Parish
		sub accounts...
		sub accounts...

Expenses, Dual Parish, and Home are marked as Placeholder accounts.  No
matter whether any or all of these are Placeholders or not, there is
only a cell to enter a budget amount in Dual Parish and Home.  No
accounts below either provide a cell for entering a budgeted amount.

Curiously, beyond this, when I close and reopen the budget I get all of
the top level accounts.

- Nate

Web: https://www.n0nb.us
Projects: https://github.com/N0NB