[GNC] Tracking designated balances in the total checking account balance?

Bruce Irving eaglebruce2003 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 9 08:46:15 EST 2020

>The issue I am wrestling with is how to deal with what I will call
designated funds that our organization tracks internally but are just
part of the one checking account.

>To explain further.

>Say there is a total checking balance of $1000.00.  Then say there are
two standing funds one with $200.00 and the other with $400.00.
Conceptually I have:

>Fund A        $200.00
>Fund B        $400.00
>Undesignated    $400.00
>Total (as the bank statement shows) $1000.00

Nate:
What I have done is to have placeholder: CheckingThen under that I'll have Fund A, Fund B, General (or Undesignated)Checking  $1,000.00
  Fund A  $200.00  Fund B  $400.00  General  $400.00
This way, you can view or make transactions to each fund while Checking shows the total balance.  To reconcile, select Checking and check Sub-accounts. If I need to balance the reconciliation, I do NOT use the feature in reconciliation as it always puts that transaction in Checking!  I manually make the transaction in General

Bruce Preach the Gospel wherever you go.  If necessary, use words.