[GNC] AQBanking wizard

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sun Jan 12 15:44:43 EST 2020

> On Jan 12, 2020, at 10:10 AM, randix <butterandsalt at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Can't believe I'm re-visiting this again, lol. Goes to show what happens
> when you find extra time for a change (I haven't experienced this phenomenon
> for many years) (triple sigh).  I'm currently running Windows 10, GnuCash
> Version: 3.8, Build ID: 3.8b+(2019-12-29), Finance::Quote: 1.49.  Everything
> works fine except aqbanking and yes, I do understand that the latest version
> is not compatible with Gnucash 3, etc.  I get that...  *I'm taking from your
> prior posts that one can get aqbanking to work w GnuCash 3.8 if one installs
> an older version of Aqbanking.*  From your last post, I believe you indicate
> that's either 5.82 or 5.78.
>
> Ok, so per your earlier post, I was pulling what's left of my hair searching
> hopelessly for Aqbanking 5.20, and then just noticed by accident that you
> had made a further reply to the thread, correcting your prior post,
> indicating that I should (???) be looking for either Aqbanking 5.8.2 or
> 5.7.8, not 5.20. So:
>
> 1. First I did a search on my laptop, and found references to prior versions
> of Aqbanking, including 5.7 and 5.8 (see the attachment to this message
> post). Am I correct that my recent install of 3.8 does not include the
> necessary aqbanking files to install prior versions of it?  If I'm wrong,
> how do I install those older versions from what's on my laptop; and if I'm
> right, then I assume I need to download one of the older versions (see #2,
> below).
>
> 2. Ok, so then I did a google search, and found a reference to aqbanking
> 5.8.2-1 at the following link:
> https://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/x86_64/aqbanking/
> <https://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/x86_64/aqbanking/>  .  From
> the mirror site referenced at that site, it looks like I'd be downloading:
> *aqbanking-5.8.2-1-x86_64.pkg.tar*.  I assume once I extract the files I'll
> find an install file to install the older version of aqbanking, and
> thereafter the clouds will part, the birds will chirp, and I can stop
> manually updating my accounts.  For now, I'll sit on my hands.
>
> When you have a free moment, if you could tell me if I'm on the right path
> or not, would be great, but in any event, enjoy the rest of your Sunday!!!
> /(and thanks for all the help you've provided before in this forum, over the
> years on so many subjects relating to GnuCash)/.

No, the Windows AIO has only the AQBanking 5.99 binaries. It's an installer, not a package manager.
No, the files on acquamaniac.de are source files. They must be compiled before they can be used.

I was mistaken about being able to fix it by copying in the AQBanking files from an older build: AQBanking 5.99 has a different API and the use of that API is determined at GnuCash build time so you'd need to rebuild GnuCash as well as copy in the files. At that point you might as well just do a build from source. Sorry.

Note that this affects only OFX DirectConnect. You can still download OFX, QFX, or QIF files from your bank's website and use File>Import.

I also mis-remembered about when we started with AQBanking 5.99 on Windows: It was immediately *after*, not before, releasing GnuCash 3.7. That's the version to reinstall if you really want AQBanking.

Regards,
John Ralls