[GNC] Minimum window width

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Fri Jan 17 21:23:38 EST 2020

Tim,

I’m replying from a memory many moons ago, but I seem to recall a few discussions on this list (and bug reports) around the issue of minimum targeted width.

I think it used to be 800. I’m not sure if that was increased. (960 would easily sit side by side on a 1920 screen) It seems from your experience this might be the case. If so, as far as I know, this is hard coded. But, there might be some influence possible with CSS. (I’m not certain of this, you’ll have to play around with it.)

For starters, if you can specify a smaller font, try that first. The text itself will take less space, and some UI padding might vary with font size.

A ‘condensed’ version of a font is a good candidate here, because while the vertical height will be the same (and thus not harder to read) the horizontal width of the characters and the spacing between them (kerning) is reduced, thus getting more characters per ‘line’ than the standard version of that font. Since you’re trying to target width, that might be the better route to go than overall font size. (of course you can do both)

After that, there might be parts of the UI you can buy some padding. (or even set it to zero for some elements) Certainly spacing between toolbar buttons can be reduced, and you can hide the labels if they make the reserved space too wide.

Make sure your tabs are top or bottom placement rather than left or right.

Adjusting the register itself is likely not possible but font selection might help you shrink columns manually. (note, this is *per register* so you’ll have to adjust columns for each and every account you want to use this way)

Do a search on the wiki for the GTK page, or check the FAQ about customizations. (you’ll have to traverse a few pages deep to get to the good stuff, but it might not hurt to start with the FAQ and read your way to GTK to get a better grasp of the task if you aren’t already familiar with it.) Using the GTK inspector will help you find what parts of the UI to target for a custom CSS file.

Of course, outside of playing with a few fonts, a custom CSS file is not one I’d consider a ’simple’ solution, but it also isn’t terribly difficult, just a bit time consuming to figure out and play with till you get what you want/like.

Regards,
Adrien