[GNC] Minimum window width

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Tue Jan 21 23:14:44 EST 2020

On Sat, Jan 18, 2020 at 3:17 AM Colin Law <clanlaw at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 18 Jan 2020 at 09:07, Liz <edodd at billiau.net> wrote:
> >
> > The problem went away in 3.7.
>
> I am not able to try that at the moment, if this has been improved
> that would be good.

The register window size may have improved with 3.7 or 3.8 but it still
seems pretty big to me after upgrading from 2.6.19 to 3.7 a few months ago.

I'm using 3.8 right now on this Ubuntu 19.10 laptop with a 1366x768 screen.
I'm going to document what I see. (Colin, maybe you'll want to quantify
what you saw and are seeing on your bug #796911 ?)

I just set GnuCash's tabs to the top and sized the register window as small
as it would go, then used Gnome Screenshot to snap and save an image of the
window. The Image Viewer utility reports the saved window screenshot is 998
x 514 pixels (width x height). (This is in Gnome and includes the Gnome
title bar at top, but no bottom or side decorations beyond GnuCash's. Other
window managers have different top, bottom, and side decorations.)

I recall that it's difficult to use several parts of GnuCash on a netbook
with a 1024 x 600 or 1024 x 800 screen. So (again on this laptop with a
bigger screen) I just looked and found that the reports Options (Edit -->
Report Options) and Book Options (File --> Properties) panels are fairly
narrow and allow you to adjust their height to (unusably) small heights, so
they'll be visible, but maybe not very usable. (The controls don't tend to
scroll within the window.) The reconcile window, similarly, allows resizing
to unusably small heights and widths.

Unfortunately the Edit --> Preferences window seems to be fixed at a (quite
large) 882 x 739 pixels. (This is with the tabs on the side; can you still
move them to the top?) I seem to recall on a netbook that you have to use
Window Manager tricks to "scoot" the window up and down to use it; quite a
challenge.

There may be other places, but I have definitely noticed that the GnuCash
3.7 / 3.8 register and reconcile window no longer easily fit alongside bank
statement PDFs on my office computer's screen.