[GNC] Bulk moving transactions

Michael or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Wed Jul 1 11:14:19 EDT 2020

On 6/30/2020 4:46 PM, V. Vatsal via gnucash-user wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am running GnuCash on Mac.
>
> Somehow a month’s worth of credit card transactions ended up in the top level Bank Accounts account. Is there some quick way to move or edit them to the appropriate credit card account? It’s not possible even to move them manually, as far as I can tell, without jumping to the corresponding Expense account for each, and then changing the source account there.

You have been given the general advice, how to do this when you need to
separate transactions in the account by error from those which belong
there. BUT -- in the special case where:

1) The are no correct transactions (none that belong in the account)

2) They all should be in the same different account

You CAN (in this special case) bulk move them. Here you would first
create a new "top level bank account" and change the parent of each
child of the old one. Now ONLY those transactions are in it (in the old
one). Tell gnucash that you want to delete that account and it will
prompt you to decide if you also want its contents deleted or moved
elsewhere. You would pick "elsewhere" specifying the correct credit card
account. If you want, you can now rename the parent top level bank
account to what it was and don;t forget to make it a placeholder account.

Michael D Novack