[GNC] Split transaction on invoices in foreign currencies

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Thu Jul 2 12:34:44 EDT 2020

> On Jul 2, 2020, at 9:08 AM, Antonio Roberts <antonio at hellocatfood.com> wrote:
>
> I'm in the UK doing most of my accounting in GBP (£) but in this case
> I invoiced someone in EUR (€). Following the advice from here I sent
> up a Bank in EUR, invoiced them in EUR and then transferred the EUR
> into my GBP Bank with the current exchange rate (my bank supplies the
> rate at the time of transaction).
>
> However, this conversion incurred a bank charge in GBP. In GNUcash
> I've gone to my GBP Bank balance to the transaction line to split it
> to deduct the bank transfer. When I do this it's asking me to do a
> currency conversion from EUR to GBP.
>
> The funds are already in the GBP bank so why am I being asked to do
> conversion again? Is there something I've done wrong?

No, you haven't done anything wrong. Every transaction has a transaction currency that's used to balance the transaction. That currency is determined by the account from which the transaction is created, and in this case it's EUR, so GnuCash needs to know the value in EUR of the bank charge. Just use the same exchange rate that you used to convert the EUR payment to GBP.

Regards,
John Ralls