[GNC] OFX setup

peterb peterb at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 10:54:06 EDT 2020

Hmmm, with respect, this doesn't seem like a helpful reply - I looked at
the documents you referenced, and the questions Fleur is asking are not, in
fact, answered in them.  It could be that you're misunderstanding her
questions, or it could be that both she and I are misreading the
documentation.  To take just one example, the question "Is BIC SWIFT the
routing number for my US account?" isn't answered - the "Setting up OFX
Connect" document is completely silent on that.  The glossary has some
things to say about BIC routing numbers, but even after reading it I'm
completely unable to tell you whether that's the same routing number I see
on my checks.  And of course the fact that the debugging options seems to
have produced no output is also concerning - if we on the mailing list are
telling people asking for help "Generate a debug log" but the documentation
about how to do that is incorrect, that's a failure on the part of the
documentation.

I do appreciate that you're trying to help, and clearly SOME people have
had success getting OFX set up correctly, while others have not. Maybe the
best way to cut this Gordian knot would be to create a documented example
of creating the accounts by hand that jralls referenced in an earlier
message, and get that put on the wiki.

Thoughts?  I don't know how to create those accounts by hand, since i've
never done it, but I'm willing to be a guinea pig to try to follow
instructions on doing it.

-Peter