[GNC] GnuCash list: gmane

Stuart McGraw smcg4191 at mtneva.com
Tue Jul 7 13:51:08 EDT 2020

Gmane is (thanks heavens) definitely not dead.  I am at this very moment
reading your post via Gmane.  The Thunderbird email program, which I
use for normal day-to-day email, will also connect to usenet services
(like gmane) and presents those posts with the same UI as regular emails.

It is the best way of reading mailing lists as far as I am concerned
since I get to browse the posts and decided what I want to read without
using my machine's resources to download and store them all.

It used to be possible to post through Gmane as well but that stopped
working for me several years ago (maybe when it changed from gmane.org
to gmane.io?)  No problem, when I need to post, I subscribe to the
mailing list but turn off delivery so I can post directly to the list
but still read via Gmane/Thunderbird.

Gmane is also one of the few remaining useful services on the internet
that hasn't tried to monitize its users and is run by a lot of personal
sweat on the part of it's owner.

And no, I'm not still using a 300 baud modem. :-)

reading your post