[GNC] GnuCash list

Bruce Irving eaglebruce2003 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 8 08:02:25 EDT 2020

From: Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com>

Most people in recent times are using a webmail client (eg GMail, Yahoo, AOL,
Hotmail, etc.), so they are reading E-Mail in a webbrowser, just as they would
be reading postings in an actual webforum.  The idea of an "E-Mail List" as
something separate from a forum is actually foreign to these people.  And yes
many people would prefer a web-forum (not me -- I hate web forums and avoid
them whenever possible).

Thank you, Robert.  Yes, it is foreign to me.
Unfortunately, I do not save the messages.  I needed to reinstall my OS and all my applications.  They do offer gnucash version 1:2.6.19-1.  They also offer flatpak which is currently 4.0-3.
After reading the difficulties, I was going to wait until it smoothed out before installing but, in this case, had no choice but to upgrade.  Now, I have a couple of nits to pick:

I started bookkeeping BC (before computer) so I'm familiar with debits and credits.  Unfortunately. I couldn't find where to use formal accounting rules.  I recently made an entry, (I work in the general ledger.) and, as usual double checked it in the account register where it looked wrong.  So I corrected it and looked at it in the other account where it again looked wrong.  After 3 corrections, I finally realized the the accounts were different from what I was used to.
I had heard several express difficulty with column widths.  I usually work with two or more windows open at once.  But now, GNC requires me to use full screen.
In both of those cases, I had read there was a solution.  With a mailing list, I can't browse through the previous posts to find the answers to my issues.
The first post in this collection referred to Gmane.  I'll install Thunderbird and see if I can figure out how to find it.
Thank you to all of you that work on this project.  It is awesome.
Bruce

Bruce
 Preach the Gospel wherever you go.
 If necessary, use words.