[GNC] Prevent register from auto-duplicating transactions?

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 17:12:04 EDT 2020

On Tue, Jul 14, 2020 at 9:26 AM Stan Brown <the_stan_brown at fastmail.fm>
wrote:

> On 2020-07-13 12:12, Adrien Monteleone wrote:
> > You can also right-click the one split you want to keep (like the one
> > assigned to the credit card account) and choose 'Remove other splits".

> I already knew about deleting a split, but it was a nuisance and I was
> trying to avoid that. (It would be less of a nuisance if we could select
> more than one split and then do a delete on the selected splits.)  I did
> not know about Remove Other Splits, but it wouldn't help me because I
> need to keep two splits, one debit and one credit.

Give Remove Other Splits a try -- I think it might do what you want much of
the time. It clears all the other splits, and assuming you just want to
enter a single split it's easy enough to re-enter it. For example, if I
usually go to BigBoxStore for groceries, but just that one time I bought
groceries AND an air conditioner and flowers, the next time I enter a
BigBoxStore grocery transaction and it auto-completes the previous
transaction, I can use Remove Other Splits, then type Expenses:Groceries in
the Transfer field.

> John Ralls' suggestion works best for me: type a little extra text so
> that GC no longer recognizes the description, and that prevents the
> unwanted splits from being created.

I find that trick useful when I have two or three different things I
usually associate with a particular Description (payee), HOWEVER the next
time I have to remember the mnemonic I used the last time. I might also try
to anticipate what I might search for -- if I make the Description very
different, for example, I might have trouble searching for BigBoxStore
transactions if I got too clever about wording them.

But whatever works; it's easy enough to go back and fix a few transactions
when they don't perform as you hoped.